[U-Boot] Memory size detection on P1011

Felix Radensky felix at embedded-sol.com
Thu May 5 21:14:55 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

On 05/05/2011 09:24 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear York Sun,
>
> In message<1304602168.21927.16.camel at oslab-l1>  you wrote:
>> I don't think get_ram_size works for your case. If you want to test the
> You are wrong. We have been doing this for a long time on many boards
> with similar properties.
>
>> DDR to find the correct size, you have to initialize the DDR first. But
>> you cannot do this correctly without knowing the number of banks. You
>> may be able to blindly set the bank number and test the DDR to catch the
> Incorrect number of banks will give different results than correct
> number, so try both. The correct configuration is simply the one that
> gives the maximum total memory size.

I'm trying to do that, but get the same wrong memory size
in both cases. On the other hand, if I program the correct
number of banks from the start, get_ram_size() returns the
correct size in both cases.

The closest example of using get_ram_size() I've found is
for MPC8548 TQM boards. But all these boards have 4-bank
memory devices, so I'm sure my case was tested. Don't you
think there can be a problem with reprogramming bank number
in this particular DDR controller ?

Felix.