[U-Boot] RFC: auto-generate ARM mach-types.h file from ARM machine database

Michael Schwingen rincewind at discworld.dascon.de
Thu May 5 23:48:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

to conclude the discussion in the thread "Re: [U-Boot] Update and Cut down
mach types", I tried a short patch that demonstrates how to automatically
generate the mach-types.h file from a database dump (from
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/?action=new).

This has multiple advantages:
 - pulling in new machine types is easier (drop in a new downloaded database
   dump), and produces a much smaller diff.
 - adding new machines is decoupled from the time they appear in Linux.
 - boards that are not in mainline Linux will not be break due to removal of
   their mach types from the Linux headers.

The AWK and Makefile fragment script is taken verbatim from Linux 2.6.38.3.
I think the AWK script is simple enough that it will not require big
maintenance efforts (unless the machine database format changes).

The patch is edited down - I removed the diff for the deletion of the old
mach-types.h file, and shortened the new mach-types file to a few entries
just to show the concept - otherwise, the patch would be much too big for
the list.

Is this an acceptable solution? Should I go on and produce a full-fledged
patch?

cu
Michael