[U-Boot] understanding mkimage a bit more

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri May 6 22:30:35 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 11:45:08AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
> I understand a bit about setting up JFFS2 and have used
> drivers/mtd/maps for this purpose. I also understand that in setting
> up UBIFS, I will enable UBIFS in the linux kernel.
>
> But, on the flash, I am a little perplexed as I have not done this before.
>
> Can someone give me a few hints and clues about setting up the flash
> in the manner Eric describes, please?

This page may help:
    https://wiki.xkyle.com/Install_Debian_Lenny_on_a_Seagate_Dockstar

It has a description of how to set up a ubifs image (under "Generate
UBIFS IMage") and how to write a kernel and ubifs image to NAND flash
(in step 5 of "Get the DockStar Going").

This all presumes that you have a partitioning scheme set up on your
flash.  If you're starting from scratch or completely overwriting
someone else's firmware, you can set up whatever you want (you'll want
to learn about the mtdparts kernel boot parameter).  Otherwise, you
can use the existing system to find out what it is (try "cat
/proc/mtd" if it's running an embedded Linux).