[U-Boot] understanding mkimage a bit more

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Fri May 6 22:38:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 11:45:08AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
>> I understand a bit about setting up JFFS2 and have used
>> drivers/mtd/maps for this purpose. I also understand that in setting
>> up UBIFS, I will enable UBIFS in the linux kernel.
>>
>> But, on the flash, I am a little perplexed as I have not done this before.
>>
>> Can someone give me a few hints and clues about setting up the flash
>> in the manner Eric describes, please?
>
> This page may help:
>    https://wiki.xkyle.com/Install_Debian_Lenny_on_a_Seagate_Dockstar
>
> It has a description of how to set up a ubifs image (under "Generate
> UBIFS IMage") and how to write a kernel and ubifs image to NAND flash
> (in step 5 of "Get the DockStar Going").
>
> This all presumes that you have a partitioning scheme set up on your
> flash.  If you're starting from scratch or completely overwriting
> someone else's firmware, you can set up whatever you want (you'll want
> to learn about the mtdparts kernel boot parameter).  Otherwise, you
> can use the existing system to find out what it is (try "cat
> /proc/mtd" if it's running an embedded Linux).
>
> --
> Eric Cooper             e c c @ c m u . e d u

Oops. Maybe I need to back up a tiny bit here.

I have a NOR flash, not a NAND flash.

I have been trying to compile UBIFS into u-boot for the last little
while and keep stumbling over NAND unresolveds at link time. So, I
have to ask the question: "Is it reasonable to expect UBIFS to work in
NOR  flash on a MPC8323ERDB with u-boot-2011.03 and if so, what might
be the pitfalls?"

--
Charles Krinke