[U-Boot] Image size of u-boot.bin is too huge, why and how to correct?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 9 07:41:42 CEST 2011

Dear zq_fan,

In message <6ab947c9.8604.12fccf738fc.Coremail.zq_fan at 163.com> you wrote:
> hi, everybody. I've got a problem here.

This is an understatement. It appears you got more than one problem.

> My u-boot version is 1.3.0.My tool chain prefix is powerpc-linux-gnu- .

This is your first one.  U-Boot 1.3.0 is > 3.5 years old, which means
it is hopelessly obsolete and completely unsupported.

> I wanna build uboot for freescale processor MPC8247
> I found MPC8260ADS-config in Makefile, I thought MPC8260 was similar to MPC8247, so I choose this config target.

A MPC8247 is NOT a MPC8260, and each board needs it's own port.

> Then I make u-boot.bin, I found that after objcopy the file u-boot was about 700KB, but the file u-boot.bin was about xGB.
>
> How should this happened? What Should I Do?

This is the result of a misconfiguration.

> PS: objcopy uses an option --gap-fill=0xff, is this using right?

Yes, this is correct.

What you should do?  Start with current code (top of tree from git
repository), and port it to your board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Certainly there are things in life that money  can't  buy,  but  it's
very funny - Did you ever try buying them without money? - Ogden Nash