[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

J. William Campbell jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net
Sun May 22 08:57:49 CEST 2011

On 5/21/2011 9:26 PM, Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> [...]
>> ---------------------
>> regex "[^e]set_timer\s*\([^)]*\);" reveals 14 call sites for set_timer()
>> and all except arch/sh/lib/time_sh2:[timer_init(),reset_timer()] are
>> set_timer(0). The code in arch/sh is trivial to resolve in order to
>> remove set_timer()
>>
>> 2. Remove reset_timer()
>> regex "[\t ]*reset_timer\s*\([^)]*\);" reveals 22 callers across the
>> following groups:
>>    - timer_init() - Make reset_timer() static or fold into timer_init()
>>    - board_init_r() - Unnecessary
>>    - arch/m68k/lib/time.c:wait_ticks() - convert[3]
>>    - Board specific flash drivers - convert[3]
>>    - drivers/block/mg_disk.c:mg_wait() - Unnecessary
>>    - drivers/mtd/cfi_flash.c:flash_status_check() - Unnecessary
>>    - drivers/mtd/cfi_flash.c:flash_status_poll() - Unnecessary
>>
>> [3] These instance can be trivially converted to use one of the three
>> examples at the beginning of this document
>>
>> 3. Remove reset_timer_masked()
>> ------------------------------
>> This is only implemented in arm but has propagated outside arch/arm and
>> into board/ and drivers/ (bad!)
>>
>> regex "[\t ]*reset_timer_masked\s*\([^)]*\);" reveals 135 callers!
>>
>> A lot are in timer_init() and reset_timer(), but the list includes:
>>    - arch/arm/cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200/spi.c:AT91F_SpiWrite()
>>    - arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/omap/timer.c:__udelay()
>>    - arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/versatile/timer.c:__udelay()
>>    - arch/arm/armv7/s5p-common/timer.c:__udelay()
>>    - arch/arm/lh7a40x/timer.c:__udelay()
>>    - A whole bunch of board specific flash drivers
>>    - board/mx1ads/syncflash.c:flash_erase()
>>    - board/trab/cmd_trab.c:do_burn_in()
>>    - board/trab/cmd_trab.c:led_blink()
>>    - board/trab/cmd_trab.c:do_temp_log()
>>    - drivers/mtd/spi/eeprom_m95xxx.c:spi_write()
>>    - drivers/net/netarm_eth.c:na_mii_poll_busy()
>>    - drivers/net/netarm_eth.c:reset_eth()
>>    - drivers/spi/atmel_dataflash_spi.c/AT91F_SpiWrite()
> Fixed in current master.
>> Most of these instance can be converted to use one of the three examples
>> at the beginning of this document, but __udelay() will need closer
>> examination
>>
>> This is preventing nesting of timed code - Any code which uses udelay()
>> has the potential to foul up outer-loop timers. The problem is somewhat
>> unique to ARM though
>>
>> 4. Implement microsecond API - get_usec_timer()
>>    - Useful for profiling
>>    - A 32-bit microsecond counter wraps in 71 minutes - Probably OK for most
>>      U-Boot usage scenarios
>>    - By default could return get_timer() * 1000 if hardware does not support
>>      microsecond accuracy - Beware of results>   32 bits!
>>    - If hardware supports microsecond resolution counters, get_timer() could
>>      simply use get_usec_timer() / 1000
> That is wrong. Dividing 32 bits by any number will result in a result that does not
> exploit the full 32 bit range, i.e. wrap from (0xffffffff/1000) to 0x00000000,
> which makes time differences go wrong when they span across such a wrap!
Hi All,
       True, as previously discussed.
>>    - get_usec_timer_64() could offer a longer period (584942 years!)
> Correct. And a "must be" when one uses such division.
>
> But you have to realize that most hardware does not provide a simple means to
> implement a timer that runs in either exact microseconds or exact milliseconds.
Also True.
> Powerpc for example has a 64 bit free running hardware counter at CPU clock,
> which can be in the GHz range, making the lower 32 bits overflow within seconds,
> so the full 64 bits MUST BE used to obtain a millisecond timer by division.
       This statement, as written, is false. While it is true that the
power PC (and others) have a 64 bit counter that runs at a many
megahertz rate, it is NOT true that all 64 bits must be used to obtain a
millisecond timer. A millisecond timer can be produced by using the 33
bits of the 64 bit counter whose lsb is <= 1 ms and > 0.5 ms. This value
can be extracted by a right shift and masking of the 64 bit counter. Two
32 bit multiplies and adds will produce a correct monotonic 1 ms timer.
This is certainly the best way to go on systems that do not have a
hardware 64 bit by 32 bit divide. See the thread "ARM timing code
refactoring" for an example of how this can be done. This timer will
NEVER result in a wrong value, although it does loose  1 ms every 1193
hours.
> arm/at91 has a timer that can be made to appear like a 32 bit free running counter
> at some fraction of cpu clock (can be brought into a few MHz value by a prescaler)
> and the current implementation extends this to 64 bits by software, so it is
> similar to powerpc.
>
> A get timer() simply uses this 64 bit value by dividing it by (tickrate/1000).
Or as above on the PPC
> Of course this results in a wrong wrap "gigaseconds" after the timer has been started,
> but certainly this can be ignored...
FWIW, this does not happen with the shift and multiply approach.
> On any account, I see only the following two functions to be implemented for use by
> other u-boot code parts:
>
> 1. void udelay(u32 microseconds) with the following properties:
> - must not affect get_timer() results
> - must not delay less than the given time, may delay longer
> (this might be true especially for very small delay values)
> - shall not be used for delays in the seconds range and longer
> (or any other limit we see practical)
> Note: a loop doing "n" udelays of "m" microseconds might take _much_ longer than
> "n * m" microseconds and therefore is the wrong approach to implement a timeout.
> get_timer() must be used for any such timeouts instead!
>
> 2. u32 get_timer(u32 base) with the following properties:
> - must return the elapsed milliseconds since base
> - must work without wrapping problems for at least several hours
>
> Best Regards,
> Reinhard
I think this is a correct appreciation of what is needed.

Best Regards.
Bill Campbell