[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:18:55 CEST 2011

Hi Albert,

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot at aribaud.net> wrote:
> Le 26/05/2011 07:25, Graeme Russ a écrit :
>
>> I think we can still rationalise the timer API as suggested which, as
>> a minimum will:
>>
>>  - Not diminish current functionality for any platform
>>  - Will dramatically reduce the current amount of code duplication
>>  - Improve functionality on some platforms
>>  - Simplify the whole API
>>
>> and then start banging on arch maintainers heads to implement the trivial
>> ISR to kick the prescaler:
>
> I personally am in favor of cooperation rather than coercion, so please, ask
> before banging on heads. :)

What, and take all the fun out of it ;)

But yes, giving everyone plenty of warning was all in the plan

>> void timer_isr(void *unused)
>> {
>>        prescaler();
>> }
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Graeme
>
> Seems like we're asymptotically getting to some kind of agreement. For the
> sake of clarity, could someone summarize what the expected API would be, so
> that I save my scalp and start looking as the order in which changes should
> be done on ARM?

Here is one I prepared earlier :)

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2011-May/093290.html

I'll write up another formal specification for the API soon - Got a couple
of things on so it may be another day or two

Regards,

Graeme