[U-Boot] Help: U-Boot on Nokia RX-51 (aka N900)

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Sep 1 11:02:25 CEST 2011

On 09/01/2011 10:42 AM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Pali,

> U-Boot patches which add support for Nokia RX-51 (aka N900) is here:
> http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/

It is quite difficult to review patches in this way, considering you
have already changed something to adapt to the currect release. I
suggest you post your modified patches to ML.

> RX-51 has closed 2nd stage bootloader NOLO which can load kernel image from
> nand (or usb) to ram and boot it. NOLO also done all HW initializations. These
> U-Boot patches for RX-51 add support that builded U-Boot binary can be loaded
> and booted by NOLO. So U-Boot will be 3rd bootloader.
>
> Patches are on top of revision bd2313078114c4b44c4a5ce149af43bcb7fc8854 and
> working fine. I rebased these patches on top of u-boot git master repository,
> but booting failed. No output on device. Using git bisect I found that problem
> appeared at revision
>
> 561142af20f1fd7b425d9425730014e656defb91
> ARM: implement relocation for ARM V7 (OMAP)
>
> If I defined CONFIG_SYS_ARM_WITHOUT_RELOC U-Boot working and booting fine up to
> revision a9aa3926295df759306258e5e24cace414f53b67
>
> So problem is that relocation patches broke RX-51 support.

Well, it does mean that the RX51 was not adapted for the relocation...

You should take care that the initial stackpointer (check for
CONFIG_SYS_INIT_SP_ADDR) is set to a a range into RAM (or internal RAM,
if any) and it is not overwritten by other parts (where is your TEXT
code ?).

Move all first initialization into board_early_init_f, if any.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de