[U-Boot] environment in NAND

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Tue Sep 6 16:22:42 CEST 2011

Hi Arno,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 04:16:59PM +0200, Arno Steffen wrote:
> NAND is sufferered from Bad blocks and bit errors. Thats why usually
> exists a bad block handling and an ECC. Am I wrong, that I miss both
> on uboot  for it's environment?

U-Boot 2010.06 already has bad block handling in the way that it
skips bad blocks during read and write. At least this is how I understand
the code in common/env_nand.c (writeenv(), readenv()).

However, it seems to me that some boards might run into problems
in case there really are bad blocks because there is no extra
space reserved to compensate for them in case of bad blocks.
But this is just a configuration issue.

(Just stumbled over this for openrd, my image needs 3 blocks of
0x20000 size each, env starts at 0x60000 and has size 0x20000 -
this looks fatal to me in case of a bad block within the first
4 blocks, or am I overlooking something here?)

Regards,
Wolfgang