[U-Boot] [RFC] Long term ARM ISA/cpu/core code organization

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Wed Sep 7 16:02:52 CEST 2011

Hi Albert,

On Tuesday 06 September 2011 05:13 PM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> (splitting this discussion between the patch question and longer term

[snip ...]

>>> To sum it up, we would have
>>>
>>> arch/arm/isa/armv5 (where ARMv5t ISA common code would reside, including
>>> cache ops)
>>>
>>> arch/arm/isa/armv5/arm926ejs (where ARM926EJ-S cpu common code would
>>> reside, including cache ops)
>>>
>>> arch/arm/isa/armv5/arm926ejs/orion5x (a personal favorite :) where
>>> Orion5x core code would reside, including cache ops)
>>>
>>> Maybe we could even make do without the .../isa/... level and put ISAs
>>> directly under ARM -- I don't think any ARM ISA will ever be named
>>> 'include' or 'lib' or 'Makefile'. :)
>>>
>>> Comments?

Here is a rather wild thought. I am not sure whether we can do such a
thing for ARM alone. Just ideating:-)

arch/arm/cpu/<isa>/<cpu>
arch/arm/soc/<soc-family>/<soc>

Reasoning:
1. SoCs in same SoC family typically share/can-share a lot of code.
2. SoCs in same SoC family need not necessarily have the same cpu.
Usually a new SoC brings in a new CPU while maintaining a lot of
peripheral IPs from the previous generation.

best regards,
Aneesh