[U-Boot] Bogus "Warning: failed to set MAC address" on Gumstix Overo

Philip Balister philip at opensdr.com
Thu Sep 8 15:43:27 CEST 2011

When booting master on a Gumstix Overo based system, I get the following
messages during ethernet initialization:

Net:   smc911x-0
Warning: failed to set MAC address

(Note that patch [1] is needed to move the Warning to a new line,
otherwise it is after the previous line with no space)

In this system, the ethernet chip is loading the MAC address from an
attached eeprom, so the warning is inaccurate. I've looked at the code
some, and it is not clear to me the best way to suppress this message
for the case where the hardware configures its MAC address on reset.

Philip

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/107639