[U-Boot] UBI problems on current u-boot

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Sep 13 09:39:44 CEST 2011

Hi Holger,

On Monday 12 September 2011 19:16:33 Holger Brunck wrote:
> I have seen in mainline kernel this fix in the ubi layer:
>
> commit b86a2c56e512f46d140a4bcb4e35e8a7d4a99a4b
> Author: Artem Bityutskiy <Artem.Bityutskiy at nokia.com>
> Date:   Sun May 24 14:13:34 2009 +0300
>
>     UBI: do not switch to R/O mode on read errors
>
>     This patch improves UBI errors handling. ATM UBI switches to
>     R/O mode when the WL worker fails to read the source PEB.
>     This means that the upper layers (e.g., UBIFS) has no
>     chances to unmap the erroneous PEB and fix the error.
>     This patch changes this behaviour and makes UBI put PEBs
>     like this into a separate RB-tree, thus preventing the
>     WL worker from hitting the same read errors again and
>     again.
>
> [...]
>
> And this sounds like the problem I see in u-boot.

Yes, very likely.

> But this patch is not
> easy to port onto u-boot because previously undergoing changes in the
> kernels ubi layer...

Correct. UBI has undergone many changes since the integration into U-Boot back
in the end of 2008 (nearly 3 years ago now). Perhaps the best would be to re-
synch with the latest Linux UBI version. But this sounds like quite a lot of
work as well...

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de