[U-Boot] DMA drivers in U-Boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 14 22:08:37 CEST 2011

Dear Simon Schwarz,

In message <4E70BF94.1030306 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am working on integrating DMA into my SPL. As a matter of fact it is
> already working fine.
>
> So, here are my questions:
> - Is there an interest in having DMA drivers in U-Boot? (I only know of
> one in /drivers)

It depends.  There are some devices which always use DMA, which cannot
operated in any other way.  Here the choice is simple :-)

In all other cases, the question is about effort (code size,
complexity) on one side, and win (reduction of boot time) on the other
side.

Eventually, two implementations might exist, and configuration
optioons to select one.

> (ATM the transfer of the Linux-image is more than three times faster
> compared to the CPU copy)

Numbers like these are usually driving arguments :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No, I'm not going to explain it. If you  can't  figure  it  out,  you
didn't want to know anyway... :-)
                   - Larry Wall in <1991Aug7.180856.2854 at netlabs.com>