[U-Boot] Splitting u-boot into 2 stages

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 23 08:32:59 CEST 2011

Dear "Kumar Nath, Chandan",

In message <B85A65D85D7EB246BE421B3FB0FBB59302576F012F at dbde02.ent.ti.com> you wrote:
> We have an upcoming OMAP based armv7 SOC with a small internal SRAM.
> Internal SRAM size is 110Kb and can hold image of that size only.

This is a pretty common situation.

> Initial Rom based Bootloader (RBL, inside SOC) will load the Bootloader from some media and load it to SRAM and run it from there.
> Because of the small Internal SRAM size, u-boot cannot be built with complete features in one Image.
>
> For this constraint, we are planning to split uboot into = uboot minimum (1st stage) and uboot full (2nd Stage).

Please do not re-invent the wheel.

Use the standard SPL approach instead.  This is working fine on a
number of other systems already, so it makes zero sense to invent a
new, incompatible solution.

I don't see much chances for your new approach to ever go into
mainline.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Steal five dollars and you were a petty  thief.  Steal  thousands  of
dollars and you are either a government or a hero.
                                   - Terry Pratchett, _Going_Postal_