[U-Boot] Faster boot time

Dat Tran dtran11 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:30:15 CEST 2011

Sorry for my ignorance on this issue. My current system (Overo) does this
when it boots:

    ROM Code -> X-Load (MLO) -> U-Boot -> Linux Kernel -> Root File System

Does the SPL patch allow me to do this?:

    ROM Code -> U-Boot (MLO) -> Linux Kernel -> Root File System

Also running the latest X-Loader 1.50 and U-Boot 2011.09-rc1, it takes about
2 seconds from power on to starting the Linux Kernel. My Kernel takes 1
second to load and my file system takes another 1.5 seconds for a total of
4.5 seconds from power on to the login prompt on serial. I assume the
U-Boot-SPL will only speed up the first half of my boot time. If so, how
much of a difference do you think I will see with this patch.

Thanks.