[U-Boot] altbootcmd and failbootcmd

Kim Phillips kim.phillips at freescale.com
Tue Sep 27 22:40:26 CEST 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:49:19 +0200
Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote:

> Apart from that: You first have to find a storage space to store the
> post word.  This storage needs to survive a reset of the system.
> Depending if that is reachable through regular memory access, you only
> have to define __POST_WORD_ADDR.  In any other case you would need to
> implement a setter/getter for that word yourself.

I don't know that there is such storage space on the 8313.

> > I have tried setting CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT and get message error
> > QE_MURAM_SIZE undeclared. Any ideas on this one ?
>
> The code seems to have bugs - now go and find them.  Or rather try a
> more recent version of U-Boot ;)

one 832x or 836x (keymile tuda/tuxa I believe) board implemented
bootcounting, and it used QE MURAM for that storage space.  The 8313
doesn't have a QE though. So unless someone finds such storage space
on the non-QE 83xx SoCs, it's not elegant, but it should be ok for
83xx bootcount to depend on CONFIG_QE.  Note that because MURAM is
also now used to store the bootcount, its size is decreased in
fdt_fixup_muram() before booting the OS.

Kim