[U-Boot] MX28EVK Hangs on DRAM

Chiz Chikwendu chiz.chikwendu at Haemonetics.com
Thu Apr 5 14:33:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm pretty new to u-boot and I am trying to use it on the mx28 platform.
I have an MX28 EVK (rev A), which I'm using. I was able to build u-boot
2009 with all the patches supplied by Freescale, and to get it working.

I moved on to u-boot 2011 because I wanted to use the I2C, SPI and other
tools supported.

The problem I have is that when I build u-boot, it hangs at after
dram_init during the initialization sequence.

This is what I get from u-boot...

PowerPrep start initialize power...

Battery Voltage = 4.26V

boot from battery. 5v input not detected

Apr  4 201220:57:25

FRAC 0x92925552

memory type is DDR2

                   Wait for ddr ready 1power 0x00820616

Frac 0x92925552

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

start test memory accress

ddr2 0x40000000

finish simple test

U-Boot 2011.12 (Apr 04 2012 - 16:55:47)

Freescale i.MX28 family

I2C:   ready

DRAM:  0 Bytes

I realize this problem was supposed to have been fixed by several
patches, but it still exists.

On my platform it seems to occur if SPL is configured, and during
relocation.

U-boot is not able to get the proper RAM size from the scratch registers
(SCRATCH0, and SCRATCH1).

I've even tried the latest u-boot (2012.04.rc1) and I still get the same
results.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Chiz