[U-Boot] some questions about u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 7 14:33:10 CEST 2012

Dear li guohu,

In message <BLU166-W15D9ED762AFA241D568B4BC6310 at phx.gbl> you wrote:

> Hello, I am a newbie in the world of u-boot. There are three
> questions when I am using the u-boot. Can someone help me?

Let's give it a try...

> 1. Before the u-boot enter the command line, some error like "Error:
> environment overflow " happens. The space in the ram used to save the
> environment variables are 0x2000. I think this is enough. I set this
> space in the head file like this: #define CON FIG_SYS_ENV_SIZE
> 0x2000.

There is no such error message as "environment overflow" in current
mainline versions of U-Boot itself; only the "fw_setenv" user space
command may issue such a warning.  Maybe you are running ancient
code?

> 2. Are there any commands in the u-boot to read and write the FRAM?

FRAM? Which board is this?  Usually things like FRAM or MRAM are
simply memory-mapped devices, so you can use: md, mw, mm, cp.

> 3. After the u-boot enter the command line, I enter the command "mii
> info". But nothing appears. If I enter the command "mii read 0x1
> 0x1", I can only see 0xFFFF. If I ping some address, I can see 32
> lines if I use the "mii info" then. The address of th e PHY is 0x1.

You probably have some misconfiguration in your port.

> U-Boot 2009.03 (Apr 05 2012 - 19:23:09) MPC512X

U-Boot 2009.03 is more than 3 years old.  Please do yourself and us a
favour and update to current code.  Then try again.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It takes all sorts of in & out-door schooling to get adapted  to  my
kind of fooling"                                           - R. Frost