[U-Boot] using different architecture / toolchain for SPL build

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 13 00:24:10 CEST 2012

Dear Allen Martin,

In message <3C7A7ACA8617D24290826EC008B5CD08510F030F9F at HQMAIL03.nvidia.com> you wrote:

> > Did you try asking on the binutils mailing list?  This is where
> > experts should be available...
>
> I drilled down on this some more and I found that with an armv4t
> linker I can force it to generate armv7 compatible interworking code
> if I use the "--use-bx" switch. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to
> be any inverse, so with a armv7 linker I can't force it to generate
> armv4t compatible interworking. This does seem to be a linker
> limitation, I'll take it up on the linaro toolchain list.

No, please do not.

Please take it to the binutils mailing list, so it gets solved in
mainline.  It does not help at all if Linaro provides a local fix for
their tools, and for everybody else the issue is still unsolved.

> > We are not talking about a different architecture here - like a
> > PowerPC SPL that boots an ARM U-Boot.  We are still in a single
> > architecture, it's just different CPU models.  And when both GCC and
> > the assembler are capable of being tuned to the respective CPU
> > model,
> > this should also be possible for the linker.
>
> The problem I'm having with the SPL build is that a single entry in
> boards.cfg can have exactly one architecture and CPU model. So

But you can define any tye of CONFIG_ settings, both in boards.cfg and
in your board config file.

> there's no easy way to have the SPL build compile from arm720t and
> the non SPL build compile from armv7. So I either have to have two

What would prevent you from extending the Makefiles to set build
options depending on CONFIG_ settings from your board configuration?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
                  Nail here --X-- for new monitor.