[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] How to pass MAC address to linux kernel?

Jayakumar A jayakumar.a at igatepatni.com
Wed Apr 18 10:17:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

I was going through the mail chain of "passing  MAC address to Linux kernel"( http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09312.html)  and found you could be of great help in helping our issue.

We wish to set the ipaddress on the ARM-9 board retrieving from a particular file and start the network services:
We are using FreeScaleArm9 board and to statically set the system we have flashed the kernel(linux-2.6.31) on NAND Flash with DHCP off.
As per ltib settings it says: to have static ip-settings, either set the ip-address while configuring LTIB or change in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.conf.

We made changes in both settings and noted that ip-address could be dynamically changed(each time upon boot) as updated in rc.conf but when
We gave the following command ifconfig -a : it shows ethaddr as 00:00:00:00:00:00 and could not ping the other system on the network.

Though we do not have any problem with NFS boot, the driver configuring/working (of FEC0)is of no doubt to us.

If you could please share some information regarding the static -ip settings and starting network serives it should be of great help.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,

Jayakumar A.
Software Engineer, Product Engineering Services (PES)

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CD1D42.7DA5FE50]
Mumbai: 09769152492 | Hyderabad: +91-9346859162| *Tel: Ext- 4211  | email: jayakumar.a at igatepatni.com<mailto:jayakumar.a at igatepatni.com>| www.igatepatni.com

Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential and proprietary to iGATE Patni and its affiliates and is intended for use only by the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this e-mail immediately and notify the originator or mailadmin at igatepatni.com. iGATE Patni does not enter into any agreement with any party by e-mail. Any views expressed by an individual do not necessarily reflect the view of iGATE Patni. iGATE Patni is not responsible for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of information provided, through this email. The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While iGATE Patni has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. To know more about iGATE Patni please visit www.igatepatni.com.