[U-Boot] [RFC] Preventing overriding of serverip when set in environment by user

Peter Barada peter.barada at logicpd.com
Wed Apr 18 17:46:41 CEST 2012

On 04/18/2012 11:28 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>> Is this the proper way to fix this issue and the right location to
>> make the change? The overall goal was to make sure that if I
>> specified a particular serverip that I wanted to use, then the DHCP
>> server should not be changing that.
> No, this is not an acceptable patch.
>
> What exactly _are_ you trying to fix?  What is wrong with using the
> DHCP server supplied address?  If it is incorrect, you should fix your
> DHCP server configuration.
I have the same type of problem.

In my case our company controls the DHCP server that hands out addresses
for the network, but I want to use a *local* TFTP server (the one on my
development machine).  I can't modify the DHCP server so if I use "dhcp"
to get and address u-boot also overwrites serverip.  At home my FiOS
router has a DHCP server (that I can't modify since its closed and is
needed to provide addresses to my TV set top box) that provides
addresses for my network, and has the same problem...

Would an option to dhcp (i.e. one that tells it to *only* modify ipaddr)
suffice? Or would it be better to provide an entirely a new command that
optionally updates the variables in the environment be better? Then
users have the option of using "dhcp" as is, or for environments like
mine (and apparently Chase) can just get an IP address and go from there...

--
Peter Barada
peter.barada at logicpd.com