[U-Boot] [Yaffs] yaffs2 u-boot patching support

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Apr 23 17:18:58 CEST 2012

On 04/22/2012 01:23 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 09:40:50 Tom Rini wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:32:07PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
>>> Hello ubooters and yaffsers
>>>
>>> I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to
>>> support dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around
>>> with mtd part) and manual configuration.
>>>
>>>   Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this
>>> can be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code
>>> (as per Linux patching).
>>
>> Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
>> code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?
>
> I think it is worth having yaffs in the main code base, but not the old stuff.
>
> The primary reason to have a "patch-in" script is to allow people to refresh
> the yaffs they are using in a pretty painless way.

OK, but why not just update mainline?  When you posted the original
message, the next branch of master was open.  Today master is open.  I'm
pretty sure that a pull request from the yaffs2 maintainers to update
the codebase would be accepted if it's self contained to fs/yaffs2 and
reviewed if it touches stuff outside.  This isn't the old days... Thanks!

--
Tom