[U-Boot] Booting a dt zImage kernel

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Mon Apr 23 17:21:14 CEST 2012

On 23/04/2012 16:13, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Fabio,

> I am able to successfully boot a zImage kernel with latest 2012.04
> U-boot on mx28evk.
>
> Now I want to boot a dt zImage version.
>
> These are the steps I am doing:
>
> make menuconfig and select [*] Support MXS platforms from device tree
>
> make imx28-evk.dtb
>
> make
>
> cat arch/arm/boot/imx28-evk.dtb arch/arm/boot/zImage > arch/arm/boot/zImage_dtb

Is it possible ? Do you not set CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB in kernel and
let kbuild doing the rest of the job ?

Is there some reason doing this ? I mean, the easy and tested way is to
produce an uImage, and start the kernel from U-Boot with "bootm
<address> - <dtb in ram>". Of course, CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT must be enabled,
it is currently not set in mainline for mx28.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de