[U-Boot] Sandbox question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 23 19:39:47 CEST 2012

Dear Matthias Weisser,

In message <4F959235.1070106 at arcor.de> you wrote:

> > On Monday 23 April 2012 02:41:08 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> >>    	=>md 0x100
> >> 	00000100:Segmentation fault
> >
> > yes, this is because the code to make this work was reverted because of ppc
> > oddity.  i haven't reviewed that yet to see why, but it seems to me that the
> > ppc code is not quite right.

The PPC code just accesses physical memory, as is.

> I suggested another solution:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123074/
>
> This has the disadvantage, as discussed in the thread, that the address
> passed to mmap is not guaranteed to be returned.

I don't see why this would be needed.

I think you got things backwards.

Please note that I do NOT complain that "md 0x100" or "md 0" segfaults
in general; it is IMO perfectoy OK to do this if there is no memory.
But the "bdinfo" command reported that memory starts at 0, and then
both these commands are supposed to work.

I am not asking for any specific mapping - I just ask for _consistent_
information provided to the user.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?