[U-Boot] Sandbox question

Matthias Weißer weisserm at arcor.de
Tue Apr 24 11:25:47 CEST 2012

Am 23.04.2012 20:30, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> Dear Matthias,
>
> In message<4F959612.7040903 at arcor.de>  you wrote:
>>
>> Because you will have the same address for "physical memory" in all
>> instances of sandbox u-boot. This could simplify test scripts a bit.
>> Imagine testing tftp downloads to memory where DRAM bank->  start is
>> different for every program run. This was a PITA for me while testing
>> the tap ethernet simulation for sandbox. And that is why I came up with
>> the patch.
>
> Agreed - though I would expect the mapping at least to be consistent
> through all runs of the same binary image.

This would be the case as long as the u-boot image is run without ASLR
which can be achieved by running it using setarch

>> Or is there something like $(ramstart) in u-boot?
>
> Not yet - but it would be trivial to add.

And would fix the issue without any problems introduced by hinted mmap
or an "address translation layer". But ramstart would be different on
every run of the binary if ASLR is active.

--
Matthias