[U-Boot] Using u-boot to update the kernel and root-file system on NAND chip on imx28evk from USB memory stick

Bill bsousan at techsi.com
Wed Aug 8 23:33:50 CEST 2012

All,

     I'm needing the ability to upgrade the kernel and root-filesystem
on the NAND chip on the imx28evk from new files that reside on a USB
memory stick.  That is I want to partition the NAND (mtd) into 3
sections that contain  u-boot, kernel, rootfs.  Then whenever the system
is booted, u-boot will probe the USB memory stick (using fatls and
looking for a  kernel file and rootfs file)  If the files exist on the
USB memory stick, uboot will automatically (first it will verify a
CRC/Checksum) erase the kernel and rootfs sections on the NAND chip, and
then copy the new kernel and rootfs from the USB stick to their
respective sections in the flash chip (I think using fatload)?.  It will
never write a new u-boot.

    I've also seen where u-boot can define the NAND flash partitions
using the mtdparts command and pass these along to the kernel via
command line args?

    Can u-boot write/erase to a nand partition (i.e. /dev/mtd0) instead
of using absolute memory addresses?

Thanks,
Bill