[U-Boot] Fcall to lib_ppc/board.c/trap_init() results in Machine Check Exception

Vic vic.lix10 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 06:38:45 CEST 2012

uboot sets up the trap handler (function trap_init called from
lib_ppc/board.c).
As soon this is called the processor seems to be getting an machine check
exception/trap. (Refer to the logs below)

This also apparently causes processor to freeze, such that I am not able to
read any CPU registers using JTAG etc

If we do not make calls to trap_init uboot cont. to work properly, but
without fixing this issue we can not move ahead, as we need interrupt
handling to work for the next stage.

I understand that may be this exception already accrued @ some point before
trap_init call was done, but I am looking for ideas on how to debug it...

Vic

PS: Last message from uboot on console.
** pre trap_init()
Machine Check Exception.
Caused by (from msr): regs 0fed0a00 Instruction Synchronous Machine Check