[U-Boot] Strange / Unreadable console output

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:22:11 CEST 2012

Dear Markus Hubig,

On 27.07.12 11:16, Markus Hubig wrote:
> Hi @all,
>
> one minor Problem I often read about in this list is some crappy / unreadable
> console output at beginning of the U-Boot start procedure. Now I have the same
> "visual" Problem.
>
> | H�NAND:  128 MiB
> | *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
> |
> | In:    serial
> | Out:   serial
> | Err:   serial
> | Net:   macb0
> | macb0: Starting autonegotiation...
> | macb0: Autonegotiation timed out (status=0x7849)
> | macb0: link down (status: 0x7849)
> | Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>
> Sometimes I get a good readable output, which looks like so:
>
> | U-Boot 2012.04.01-00003-gab465ef-dirty (Jul 23 2012 - 14:44:29)
> |
> | U-Boot code: 23F00000 -> 23F30464  BSS: -> 23F72128
> | CPU: AT91SAM9G20
> | Crystal frequency:   18.432 MHz
> | CPU clock        :  396.288 MHz
> | Master clock     :  132.096 MHz
> | RAM Configuration:
> | Bank #0: 20000000 64 MiB
> | WARNING: Caches not enabled
> | NAND:  128 MiB
>
> Has anyone an ideea how to fix this? Or what's the cause of it? Is it even
> related to u-boot or is it something at91bootstrap is doing wrong?

can you please check http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/107896/

It seems this patch was set to 'Accepted' but never applied to the
master repository. Unfortunately this got lost in nirvana end of last
year. I will apply it in any case but can you please check if it fixes
your problem?

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann