[U-Boot] usb_test_unit_ready called every block read - performance

Steve Heckman mgi2481 at motorola.com
Wed Aug 15 18:45:37 CEST 2012

Oh yeah, forgot about that...;)

I just downloaded the ext4 branch tarball and built it.

The test_unit_ready calls were still in there.

With or without those it took 0m 45s to load a ~150MB image.

In our original branch (2011.12), the test_unit_ready calls had more of an
impact. The stock 2011.12 u-boot image took 6m 22s to load the 150MB file.
Without test_unit_ready, it took 3m 15s. Without test_unit_ready and
wait_ms(5) in usb_stor_BBB_transport() it took 0m 16s.

In the ext4 branch, I removed test_unit_ready and the mdelay(5) call
from usb_stor_BBB_transport() function and was able to load the same file
in 0m 8s.

So, removing the mdelay(5) call is the biggest improvement. Removing both
is the best.

To recap:

        with w/o  w/o
        TUR  TUR  TUR and 5ms wait
2011.12 6:25 3:15 0:16
ext4    0:45 0:45 0:08

Note: all these time include the 3-4 seconds it takes to do the "usb start".

Regards,
-Steve