[U-Boot] U-boot confused - flashing

Daniel Ścisłowski scislowski.daniel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:28:03 CEST 2012

Hi,

I use BeagleBoard rev C4. I would like to prepare u-boot from source
myself, one of the newest. I tried to build first X-Loader MLO file and
then U-Boot 2012.07. But X-Loader didn't loaded u-boot.bin file. I tried
many versions and it only worked with some old.
Then after many hours I realized that all wiki, books and other tutorials
are out of date, U-Boot creates MLO file. So I tried 2012.07 again and it
works :). X-Loader(MLO) and U-Boot (img, not bin) were loaded from SD card
( there were other problems later because of missing kernel files... I
suppose I need to reconfigure omap3_beagle.h file, true?). Ok, then I
wanted to flash NAND and. I tried to do it like on many wiki pages and
finally I have "Error: Bad compare! failed " when I run Beagle without SD
card. Why? Is it because I should not flash *.img file ? It can be only
*.bin file (I have never seen on any page flashing img) ?  But X-loader
want *.img file...

Other question is, do I need new U-Boot? What are the advantages of using
that new version of software? If old loads kernel and then kernel rules and
bootloaders are not important...
Maybe old can not deal with new kernels?