[U-Boot] Seeking ARM development platform suggestions

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:06:53 CEST 2012

Dear Graeme Russ,

On 21.08.12 03:33, Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Jason Cooper <u-boot at lakedaemon.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:13:05AM +1000, Graeme Russ wrote:
>>> Support for a 'cheap' JTAG board would be a big plus (GuruPlug is only
>>> US$40, whereas a BDI3000 is US$2,500 from what I can tell)
>>
>> You can also look at the Bus Pirate (~$35US) [1], the Flyswatter
>> (~$50US) [2], and the Flyswatter 2 (~$90US) [3].
>>
>> The Bus Pirate is *a*lot* more than a jtag.
>
> So why would you pay $2,500 for a BDI? Is it simply because the BDI is
> a single tool that can connect to a wider range of devices (PowerPC,
> MIPS, XScale) and has Ethernet connectivity)

another plus is that BDI speaks gdb.
For ARM openocd plus a jtag dongle (cheap FTDI based) is a really good
solution, unfortunately other arches are not so well supported. But I
had problematic cases where openocd did not work correctly in the past
(especially working with armv7 somewhere between 0.4 and 0.5). I think
these cases are sorted out but you may get other problems. Openocd
however is open source, so you just can fix it ;)

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann