[U-Boot] Seeking ARM development platform suggestions

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:29:27 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On 08/21/2012 05:30 PM, Stefan Roese wrote:

[snip]

>>> The general "mood" of the embedded dev community seems to be, to me, to move
>>> away from these Companies, as the promised source releases has not been
>>> sufficient. The current interest seems to be AM.logic's dualcore board.
>>> (http://ao2.it/en/blog/2012/08/10/amlogic-aml8726-mx-linux-kernel-code-released)
>>
>> Seems to be more tablet oriented - can't find any 'media players' based on this
>
> There seem to be plenty. Check here for an overview:
>
> http://www.j1nx.nl/xbmc-amlogic-8726-m-pivos-xios-an-initial-investigation/

Thanks for the link. Looks like it uses the same GPU (Mali 400) as the
AllWinner A10

The Geniatech Enjoy TV series looks pretty good, particularly the ATV1000:

http://geniatech.com/pa/atv1000.asp

I can get an ATV1000 for ~AU$135 with:
 - 800MHz Cortex A9 (not sure if it's the dual-core AML8726-MX or the
   single core AML8726-M1)
 - A remote
 - 2x external USB
 - A nicer looking case (going by the photos)
 - No SATA connection
 - Better FOSS support (?)

I can get a Mele A2000 for ~AU$100 with:
 - 1GHz Cortex A8 Allwinner A10
 - No Remote
 - 3x External USB
 - A not so nice looking case
 - SATA
 - Worse FOSS support (?)

Oh the agony :(

Considering it will probably be turned into a disk-less Linux workstation
in a couple of years, I'm leaning towards the ATV1000 (no need for SATA)

Thoughts?

Regards,

Graeme