[U-Boot] Seeking ARM development platform suggestions

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:50:01 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

http://www.j1nx.nl/xbmc-amlogic-8726-m-pivos-xios-an-initial-investigation/

> > Thanks for the link. Looks like it uses the same GPU (Mali 400) as the
> > AllWinner A10
> >
> > The Geniatech Enjoy TV series looks pretty good, particularly the
ATV1000:

> > http://geniatech.com/pa/atv1000.asp
> >
> > I can get an ATV1000 for ~AU$135 with:
> >  - 800MHz Cortex A9 (not sure if it's the dual-core AML8726-MX or the
> >    single core AML8726-M1)
> >  - A remote
> >  - 2x external USB
> >  - A nicer looking case (going by the photos)
> >  - No SATA connection
> >  - Better FOSS support (?)
> >
> > I can get a Mele A2000 for ~AU$100 with:
> >  - 1GHz Cortex A8 Allwinner A10
> >  - No Remote
> >  - 3x External USB
> >  - A not so nice looking case
> >  - SATA
> >  - Worse FOSS support (?)
> >
> > Oh the agony :(
> >
> > Considering it will probably be turned into a disk-less Linux
workstation
> > in a couple of years, I'm leaning towards the ATV1000 (no need for SATA)
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> As mentioned before, my focus is on XBMC support. The AmLogic seems to
> be more promising right now. I personally would go with a 1GiB board
> (not sure if really needed). The ATV310B looks good:

I ended up ordering a Mele A2000 w/ Remote & Debug Adapter. It came back to
the fact that I was after a device to hack, not simply run XBMC. The Mele
devices look like they are more hackable and the native SATA gives me one
more part to play with :). And I think Allwinner will eventually come good
on the VPU libraries.

> http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv310.asp
>
> For ~ 120,- US$.

Got the A2000 for AU$140 delivered