[U-Boot] Add a new protocol

EVS Hardware Dpt hardware.evs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:27:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

I want to add a new network protocol to u-boot. However it seems that the
most straightforward way to add a new protocol is to add it to NetLoop's
supported protocols. Of course, I would create a .c/.h pair of files to
manage the protocol and use CONFIG_XXX to ensure it doesn't add unnecessary
code.

My problem is that the protocol is used for internal testing procedures to
make u-boot act as a command server allowing a host pc to read/write
memory, use i2c, program various data into flash (Mac Address, ID's, ...)
and so on. The protocol could be gpl'ed and documented, yet it still have
limited use outside our test procedure.

So what could be the best way to achieve that goal? Should I replicate the
whole NetLoop functionalities adapted to my protocol and put it on a .c/.h
pair of files (and still using CONFIG_XXX) and keep these files available
on request, or must I add that protocol to the "official" list of supported
protocols? The second option is not very valuable for the community I
think, but the first solution seems to be a very nasty hack.

What's your opinion ?

Regards,
Fred.