[U-Boot] Where to find usable CROSS_COMPILE toolchain and the particular config?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Aug 31 12:00:51 CEST 2012

Hi Pei,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 01:24:37 -0700, JIA Pei <jp4work at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
> Sorry for my entry-level question on uboot.
>
> Just start learning how to build uboot, and get some education from
> A) http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/Get_started_with_ubuntu_on_omap4
> B) http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/U-boot_compilation

Hmm... Any reason you're not directly reading the Denx U-Boot site?

> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- omap4430sdp_config

That's one way of doing it.

> The above command has been used in A) shown above.
> Actually, I myself am working under Ubuntu 12.04, and my target is a
> pandaboard ES with omap4460 ...
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Where to find all the possible CROSS_COMPILE toolchains? and which
> one is what I should use?

Any recent toolchain that generates ARM EABI code should be ok.

> For example, from B), there are a lot of toolchains, how do I know
> which one I should use?

You have one in Ubuntu, btw (from Linaro), for instance.

> 2) Where to find the particular configuration is precisely named
> "omap4430sdp_config"?

Do you mean "how should I guess the configuration from the
device's name known to the general public"? If so, the answer is "by
Googling". There is no "general name to config" mapping that I know of.
But if I understand correctly, you already know which config to build,
right?

> I tried to grep "omap4460*" and "*gnueabi*" under the extracted
> (untared) uboot folder, but nothing has been found....

I don't understand what you are looking for there. Can you explain what
your problem is, rather than what solutions you are trying?

> Can anybody help please?
>

> Best Regards

Amicalement,
--