[U-Boot] Conflicting commits for seaboard USB keyboard handling

Tom Warren twarren.nvidia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:48:35 CET 2012

Albert,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot at aribaud.net> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:15:10 -0700, Tom Warren
> <twarren.nvidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> u-boot-arm/master and u-boot-tegra/next should have the same base
>> commit (b8a7c46), so merging them isn't a big deal, and goes smoothly
>> for me. If I then take u-boot/master and merge it, I see a conflict in
>> drivers/power/power_fls.c and include/configs/mx35pdk.h and
>> mx53loco.h, but no problems with Tegra code.  I could resolve those
>> conflicts and continue with the rebase, but ...
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but u-boot-tegra and u-boot-usb are both
>> pulled into u-boot-arm, and (I thought) u-boot-arm is then (or
>> eventually) pulled into u-boot/master.  I don't pull from u-boot-usb
>> (or any other 'sub' repo), since that would appear to create conflicts
>> when Albert pulls into u-boot-arm. I also don't pull from
>> u-boot/master, since it's essentially 2 levels above me.
>>
>> Albert - if you can, please show me exactly what fetch/merge or rebase
>> command sequence is failing for you. I'm still not clear on what the
>> exact merge conflict error is, nor how to fix it.  Or Allen, if you
>> have better visibility into exactly what the merge conflict is w/Tegra
>> that I'm just not seeing, maybe you could provide either a patchset
>> that'll fix it or steps I can take to do the same.
>
> As for what I did, it was simply to try and merge u-boot-tegra into
> u-boot-arm.

U-boot-tegra/master is synced up with u-boot-arm/master, i.e. both are
at top commit b8a7c46.

git fetch git://git.denx.de/u-boot-arm master shows a FETCH_HEAD of

b8a7c467960ffb4d5a5e1eef5f7783fb6f594542        branch 'master' of
git://git.denx.de/u-boot-arm

which is the top commit of my current u-boot-tegra/master on denx.de.

So merging the two should be seamless and pain-free.

> Regarding u-boot-usb, it is not usually pulled into u-boot-arm; but
> if it was needed by, and pulled into, u-boot-tegra, then it would have
> automatically been pulled into u-boot-arm when I fetched u-boot-tegra,
> and merged when I did the merge. Would it not?

As to u-boot-usb, I made a mistaken assumption that you pull it into
u-boot-arm because I saw commits with:

 Merge master of u-boot-usb.git

in the commit log, but those came from u-boot/master, not from you. My bad.

I don't (and won't) pull from any other repo into u-boot-tegra, except
when I merge w/my 'parent', u-boot-arm/master, just before I issue a
pull request to you. I'm at the very bottom of the chain, and only
feed into your repo, with no one feeding into mine (except when I
merge w/you, of course, to stay in sync).

Allen has offered to resolve the conflict with his USB patches in
seaboard.h and tegra-common.h. Please work with him to get a patchset
that can be applied to the ARM or USB repos to resolve this problem.
IMO, u-boot-tegra/master is OK as is and not the source of the
conflict (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks,

Tom