[U-Boot] [U-Boot, 1/2] spi: Add progress percentage and write speed to `sf update`

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Thu Dec 20 02:18:55 CET 2012

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:14:00AM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Dear Tom Rini,
>>
>> In message <20121219225945.GF14589 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

>> > With this change, applied to u-boot/master.
>>
>> Argh.... :-(
>>
>> Can we please undo this somehow?  This does not fit at all
>> conceptually.  U-Boot is supposed to use the good ols UNIX philosophy
>> of being terse by default, and special casing one specific storage
>> device makes no sense at all to me.
>
> We need to fix some of the underlying problems so that we're consistent
> here.  Sometimes we have output (network #), sometimes we don't.
> Sometimes we have a speed (network, filesystem load), sometimes we
> don't.  I'd be quite happy to have a uniform output and a uniform ON/OFF
> switch.

I'm happy to do something like this. Obviously we want a config, but
do we also want an env variable to control it? Could be useful.

And at the risk of killing it with feature creep, perhaps we could
have two levels of verbosity: progress (which repeatedly updates on
the same line) and notice (which does not). That might take care of
Jagannadha's use case also.

Regards,
Simon