[U-Boot] U-Boot: Checksum error when booting kernel from jffs2 partition

dpdonny ddonahue at gridcosystems.com
Thu Dec 27 17:24:04 CET 2012

Greetings,

I am using U-Boot version 2011.09-00096 and Kernel 3.1.0 on a proprietary
board booting out of NOR flash. The only mods to the sources are my BSP
files.

All is well as long as the kernel image and ram filesystem archive image are
created with the mkfs.jffs2 command and copied into flash (in directory
'foo' for this case) from U-Boot using the 'cp' command.   The U-boot
environment file is updated to point to foo and the board successfully boots
the kernel. No padding is used when creating the jffs2 image.

Once the kernel is booted I create directory foo2 in the same partition as
foo (again from the kernel). My update untars an archive containing the
kernel image and ram filesystem into foo2, updates the U-Boot environment
file to point to foo2, and reboots. U-Boot comes up, fsloads the images from
foo2, and the Checksum error is seen.

Note, If I create a jffs2 image containing both foo and foo2 the checksum
error is not seen.

Is there a jffs2 compatibility issue between my kernel and U-Boot?