[U-Boot] powerpc/mpc8315erdb : Integration of customized source code to u-boot

Krishna Mohan Chagaleti krishna.chagaleti at mimos.my
Fri Dec 28 02:58:40 CET 2012

Hi Wolfgang Denk,

Thank you very much for your reply.
First of all, sorry for the confusion created in my previous email.

Before describing the actual problem, I would like to share the board and uboot details as below.

Board: Freescale
CPU: e300c3, MPC8315E, Rev: 1.2 at 400 MH3 MHz
I2C:y
DRAFLASH: 8 MB
NAND: 32 MiB

U-boot version: U-Boot 2009.03-rc2 (Dec 27 2012 - 13:41:26) MPC83XX (this is as per "version" command on my u-boot)

Coming to the problem details, I have written few customized applications to test RAM, Nand & Nor flash of my freescale board.
I compiled the applications using powerpc libraries (powerpc-e300c3-linux-gnu) and created ELF executable files.
I converted the ELF executables to binary format using the command "powerpc-e300c3-linux-gnu-objcopy".
When i tftp the binary files and run on u-boot giving the entry-point address(using "go" command), the u-boot is getting reset.
So, i want to know how can i overcome this situation and execute my binary file successfully. This is the first part as per your email.
The above procedure is executed with the reference: http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/MyStandaloneProgramDoesNotWork

The second part is about integrating my applications as part of u-boot examples/apis permanenetly so that i can run them whenever i wish to.
For example, i see the command "echo" and can run it on u-boot prompt anytime. Can i also embed my application and make it as part of commands.
The whole idea is to make my binaries part of u-boot when it gets loaded.

Sorry for a lengthy email. Please let me know if you still require any further details.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
-Krishna