[U-Boot] Possible Denx m28evk ethernet problem + solution

Robert Deliën robert at delien.nl
Fri Jan 6 23:17:02 CET 2012

> make mx28evk_config? board/freescale/mx28evk

Are you sure you checked it in? I checked, but I couldn't find it.
(http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=tree;f=include/configs;h=fe894c3b95e3d154264c2f8731b668c410131f01;hb=HEAD)

> Yes, it can go both ways.

For the SoC I understand. But he PHYs on the Freescale don't, as
far as I know.
Anyway, the Denx module probably uses more advanced PHYs.

> The PHY doesn't supply clock on mx28evk, CPU does.

I'm glad we agree here.

> Yea ...
>
> M28EVK: PHY supplies clock to CPU
> MX28EVK: CPU supplies clock to PHY

It's getting rather obvious, now you've given me a bit of insight in the
differences between both boards. Thanks.

> Still, the support is already there.

I figured that too; I expected you probably made that first before moving
on to the Denx module. But I couldn't find it.
At first I thought m28evk_config would support it (too). The similarity in
names suggests similarity in boards. But after patching too much code,
I figured to implement mx28evk_config and board/freescale/mx28evk
myself. What a waste of time.... At least it was a good exercise before
our product boards arrive next week.

I just pulled my git repository and Make can't find a rule to make
mx28evk_config, so it's really not there. Not even hidden in another
configuration.

Wasn't it removed, since the Freescale implementation in 2009.08
broke?

Robert.