[U-Boot] Possible Denx m28evk ethernet problem + solution

Robert Deliën robert at delien.nl
Sun Jan 8 11:39:35 CET 2012

> Please use Stefano's imx git tree, which has support for mx28evk already.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's a bit confusing and unexpected to have a mainline spread across different git trees; Will Stefano's mainline be integrated into the main-mainline sometime?

> m28evk and mx28evk differ in the way they driver their Ethernet PHYs.

Yes, Marek has patiently explained that to me; It's all clear now. But it was a good exercise because our product board has a different phy too.

> Let me know if you have any issues.

I have a question: The auto-detected SDRAM size is parsed form SPL to U-Boot through both scrathch1 and scratch2, probably as a safeguard not to assume any value to be a valid one. Did you ever see the error or different scratch values occur? I never did. But what I do see occur every now and then is a value of 0 in both registers, mostly after obscure reset scenarios.

Can we agree on a different algo to determine the validity of SDRAM size? I'm thinking somewhere around the line of a power of 2 between 2MiB and 1GiB. Preferable I'd like to use only 1 scratch register for that. The other scratch register could then be used to store the boot-mode value during SPL stage. The boot mode value is useful for boards capable of booting from different MMC devices, like ours.

BTW: My version has both MMCs, both Ethernet intefaces and NAND working for the evk. I have also typed in regs-digctl.h. I can send you or Stefano my files, if they're any use to you.

Cheers,

         Robert.