[U-Boot] OMAP3 performance regression in 2011.12

Joe Woodward jw at terrafix.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 16:48:24 CET 2012

(apologies for previous top posting, wasn't paying attention to what I was doing!)

I'm fairly certain...

If I take the 2011.12 uBoot release the kernel takes about twice the time to boot (compared to 2011.09), and the device is noticably slower.

Then if I comment out the v7_out_cache_disable() line in cpu.c and rebuild uBoot then everything speeds up again.

I thought the kernel would turn on the cache again too...

Is there any easy way from userspace to determine if the cache is on?

I did a bit of Googling and found:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg50064.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg50083.html

It may be that the kernel is re-enabling the L1 cache, but expecting L2 to be on?
Or the way v7_out_cache_disable() disables L2 is not compatible with the way the kernel expects to re-enable it?

Also, in the Linux there seem to be OMAP4 specific functions for re-enabling the L2 cache (omap4-common.c:omap_l2_cache_init()), but none for OMAP3. I'm
assuming this is because up to now OMAP3 is assumed to have the L2 left enabled? Either that, or there is some generic Cortex-A8 method for enabling the L2
cache in the kernel soures that I've not found...

Cheers,
Joe