[U-Boot] u-boot-xlnx: missing fatload command

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:07:41 CEST 2012

Hi,
      I have got the u-boot up and running on my Xilinx ML507 development board, but for some reason, it is missing the fatload command. If someone could tell me which config option controls the inclusion of the fatload command into the u-boot image, it would be great.

Without the fatload command, I am unable to load the linux kernel images from my compact flash drive.

The Xilinx git repo is located at git://git.xilinx.com/u-boot-xlnx.git, and I'm using the microblaze branch. The master branch doesn't work, and is very old.

Here is the output of the u-boot help command:

Welcome to minicom 2.5

Compiled on May  2 2011, 10:05:24.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

U-Boot 2010.12-rc1-02468-g3630c41-dirty (Jul 03 2012 - 08:19:21)

CPU:   IBM PowerPC 440x5 VIRTEX5 at 400 MHz (PLB=100 OPB=8 EBC=71)
       32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Xilinx ML507 Board
DRAM:  256 MiB
FLASH: 32 MiB
U-Boot is up and runnining
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
ml507:/# help
?       - alias for 'help'
askenv  - get environment variables from stdin
base    - print or set address offset
bdinfo  - print Board Info structure
boot    - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootd   - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootelf - Boot from an ELF image in memory
bootm   - boot application image from memory
bootvx  - Boot vxWorks from an ELF image
chpart  - change active partition
cmp     - memory compare
coninfo - print console devices and information
cp      - memory copy
crc32   - checksum calculation
dcache  - enable or disable data cache
echo    - echo args to console
editenv - edit environment variable
env     - environment handling commands
erase   - erase FLASH memory
exit    - exit script
false   - do nothing, unsuccessfully
flinfo  - print FLASH memory information
fsinfo  - print information about filesystems
fsload  - load binary file from a filesystem image
getdcr  - Get an AMCC PPC 4xx DCR's value
getidcr - Get a register value via indirect DCR addressing
go      - start application at address 'addr'
help    - print command description/usage
icache  - enable or disable instruction cache
iminfo  - print header information for application image
imxtract- extract a part of a multi-image
interrupts- enable or disable interrupts
irqinfo - print information about IRQs
itest   - return true/false on integer compare
loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
loop    - infinite loop on address range
loopw   - infinite write loop on address range
ls      - list files in a directory (default /)
md      - memory display
mdc     - memory display cyclic
mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing address)
mtdparts- define flash/nand partitions
mtest   - simple RAM read/write test
mw      - memory write (fill)
mwc     - memory write cyclic
nm      - memory modify (constant address)
printenv- print environment variables
protect - enable or disable FLASH write protection
reginfo - print register information
reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU
run     - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
setdcr  - Set an AMCC PPC 4xx DCR's value
setenv  - set environment variables
setidcr - Set a register value via indirect DCR addressing
showvar - print local hushshell variables
sleep   - delay execution for some time
source  - run script from memory
test    - minimal test like /bin/sh
true    - do nothing, successfully
version - print monitor version

ml507:/# help fatload
Unknown command 'fatload' - try 'help' without arguments for list of all known commands

ml507:/# fatload
Unknown command 'fatload' - try 'help'

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson