[U-Boot] random errors in kernel or rootfs;u-boot check sum

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 9 21:57:49 CEST 2012

Dear Anthony Garland,

In message <CACYg8QPf-d=_GrBpqRm9gC1GsANZ7A2D2w=redCSbOv5n_KMWQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm working on a recovery tool for an overo COM where I can boot all
> the way into into Linux over USB. This is similar to the beagle-board
> recovery tools. I have a host computer send the overo a modified
> version of x-loader which will ask the host computer for more files to
> store at an address. I have the host computer send it u-boot and

Your version of U-Boot is pretty old, and you are still using X-Loader
instead of SPL - these are too many old components to spend efforts in
analyzing potential problems.  Can you please update instead?

> I thought that u-boot did a check sum on uMulti. If uMulti is being
> corrupted during the USB transfer by noise on the power supply, why
> isn't u-boot check sum catching it??

Maybe you switched it off?

> I've attached the script I use to make uMulti, my Boot_usb.sh script,
> and a few logs of it randomly failing and succeeding.

You have other problems, like instable / incorrectly intialized memory.

> # For whatever reason, the gzip files seem more error prone. With no
> compression I seem to get better results.

Wrong.  Without compression errors don't get caought so easily. I bet
they are still there.

>    Contents:
>       Image 0: 2585928 Bytes = 2.5 MiB
>       Image 1: 13631488 Bytes = 13 MiB
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK

As you can see, it _does_ checksum verification.

> [    0.000000] Linux version 3.2.0 (anthony at linux-server) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #1 Thu Jun 28 16:13:37 CDT 2012

Uh, oh.  GCC 4.3 - can you _please_ try a more recent and less buggy
tool chain?

Recent kernel versions and ancient tools usually don't mix without
problems.

> [    8.032104] alignment: ignoring faults is unsafe on this CPU.
> Defaulting to fixup mode.
> Remounting root file system...
> WARNING: -e needs -E or -F
> Segmentation fault

Alignments issues ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't put off for tomorrow what you can  do  today,  because  if  you
enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow.