[U-Boot] FDT driver initialization function declaration

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Tue Jul 10 15:00:57 CEST 2012

Dear Michal Simek,

> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> On 07/10/2012 01:54 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear Michal,
> >
> > In message<4FFC02BD.7060106 at monstr.eu>  you wrote:
> >> just want to open new topic about FDT driver initialization function
> >> declaration.
> >>
> >> There are some drivers which can be simple move to fdt initialization.
> >> I have in my mind ethernet drivers and then systemace (I have ported
> >> it).
> >
> > I"m not sure if it's a good idea to do this right now.  Any such
> > activities would in minimum cause a moving target for the upcoming
> > driver model work, and most probably cause lots of conflicts on both
> > sides.
> >
> > I think your plans should be co-ordinated (and probably be merged)
> > with the DM group.
>
> I wasn't aware about this group. I was CC in that announcement email
> but I missed it. :-(

I believe we can meet up, have some good beer, where are you located in CZ?

> ok. I have signed to this ml. There are some familiar name and
> also some czech guys. I have added u-boot-dm list to CC too.
>
> Can someone update me about current state of device-tree model?

git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marex.git -dm branch ... but the documents
will soon see further updates. The rough outline is there thought. See
doc/driver-model/

I hope the DM will be very easily possible to integrate with DT, it's done with
that in mind. But we included a few more interesting components, like late
probing of devices, unification of block devices and other craziness.

> I will read archive and dm documentation in Marek's git tree.
>
> Let me summarize what I have done and tested on microblaze.
> I have ported emaclite/ll_temac/systemace/timer/intc/cfi-flash/spi-flash
> uartlite/uart16550 (serial-multi) drivers.
> My expectation is that minimum information I need for compilation is
> u-boot starting address and microblaze compilation flags (the same one
> as we need for the Linux kernel).
>
> Serial console is selected based on aliases node where serial0 is always
> the first console. Based on type driver is initialized.
> I am using up to 4 uart16550 and 4 uartlite drivers but I do care just
> for serial0-serial3 aliases.
>
> The hardest part I have identify on microblaze was about u-boot variables.
> Because based on information from device-tree you can choose where
> variables should be stored and also this memory should be accessible
> before u-boot try to read variables. It mean in very early state.
>
> Thanks,
> Michal

Best regards,
Marek Vasut