[U-Boot] FDT driver initialization function declaration

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Tue Jul 10 15:42:28 CEST 2012

On 07/10/2012 03:12 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang Denk,
>
>> Dear Michal Simek,
>>
>> In message<4FFC1EF8.9060705 at monstr.eu>  you wrote:
>>> The hardest part I have identify on microblaze was about u-boot
>>> variables. Because based on information from device-tree you can choose
>>> where variables should be stored and also this memory should be
>>> accessible before u-boot try to read variables. It mean in very early
>>> state.
>>
>> Device initialization before relocation is already hard enough;
>
> +1
>
>> resources are very limited then.
>
> And we'll be introducing the early mallocator. This is where MPC85x will blow my
> mind :) (I'm repeating myself here, but it might help getting others unaware of
> the DM work better in line).
>
>> You will add the additional need to
>> have the FDT library available then, too.   Not to mention that you
>> need to load the DT blob, too.
>
> DT blob can be read from ROM if that was the problem. The DT library and parser
> might be an issue.
>
>> This will be a lot of added complexity.
>
> And therefore slowing down the boot. But I believe it can be optimized to
> leverage this to some point. Though I'm not quite sure how much. This is worthy
> investigation.
>
> Michal, can you try investigating how will the DT probing intertwine with the
> DM?

Firstly I need to understand what you are trying to achieve and how.
Then if I have time I can look at how DT probing can be added to it.

But I think that there is good example in the Linux kernel how to do it.
I believe that device-tree guys will have some good comments and
experiences from the kernel.

Thanks,
Michal

--