[U-Boot] Notes from the U-Boot BOF Meeting in Geneva 2012/07/12

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 23 08:20:15 CEST 2012

Dear Marek Vasut,

In message <201207230347.31993.marex at denx.de> you wrote:

> > Yes, I know. Hmmm, maybe if every 24 hours the auto build infrastructure:
> >  - Runs a MAKEALL on the mainline repo (if any patches have been committed)
>
> Certainly ... it takes 16 hours to do so on my dedicated machine though (more
> now, since I started building sparc too ;-D ). But WD has some pretty badass
> machines that can do it really quick :-)

Not nearly quick enough for all arches and all boards and and all repos...

> >     - All patches applied to sub-repo's (i.e. do a git-pull of each
> > sub-repo) - If the mainline MAKEALL is clean but the 'patched' MAKEALL is
> > not, use git bisect to identify the first patch that breaks the build
>
> Hm yea ... serverfarm needed here. Badass machines and badass cluster is a
> difference ;-)

Sponsors needed to pay for such a infrastructure...

> You have c) twice in there (nit :) ). Still, we'd need a pretty badass
> buildsetup for that, right? But indeed, such an algo sounds nice.

I wish we had unlimited resources...

But then - U-Boot is _much_ smaller than Linux, and they do not do
anything like that, yet they manage to keep going.  What are we doing
wrong / differently?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Often it is fatal to live too long.                          - Racine