[U-Boot] Notes from the U-Boot BOF Meeting in Geneva 2012/07/12

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Tue Jul 24 01:37:31 CEST 2012

On 07/23/2012 04:06 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Dear Eric Nelson,
>
>>> Yea ... I think our community is kinda broken :-(
>>
>> Hey. We heard that...
>>
>> Careful what you say on an open mic!
>
> Oh man ... I guess it sounded bad indeed, I should have though about the wording
> more, sorry.
>
> I mean, we messed up the management (and I wonder who'll start bashing me for
> this one), resulting in the community being misguided sometimes. Making it hard
> to learn how to contribute too (too many rules etc). Custodians being
> overloaded, warding people off because the review takes too long ... stuff like
> that is what I meant.
>
> So we have too much to improve, yet too less time to do that.
>
> Ad community, there's a lot of people obviously, who contribute regularly (of
> course, such as yourself for example). But I wonder if there's enough of us to
> maintain such a big codebase we have. Besides, people care about linux a lot
> more than about uboot, pushing many more of the maintaining tasks on custodians.
> Or maybe it's the structure that doesn't work well enough to handle the flow.
> Honestly, I'm getting lost in it myself.

Hi Marek,

I think you misunderstood. I was smiling and laughing when I shot you that note.

All of this discussion about process is welcome and positive, and from where
I stand, things ain't that broken...

U-Boot has a tremendous amount of value to a lot of folks, including those that
don't always chime in or feed back.

Those of you that focus on it every day deserve kudos.

Regards,

Eric