[U-Boot] [U-Boot-DM] List of offending drivers

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 27 11:33:25 CEST 2012

Dear Marek Vasut,

In message <201207271042.48099.marex at denx.de> you wrote:

> > All these are either
> >
> > 1) old versions of flash drivers that predate the cfi flash
> >    implementation, so they could be replaced by the CFI driver (if
> >    there was someone to test this)
>
> Well, can they not be replaced either way? Someone will eventually complain if
> they care enough.

No.  I will not accept moving reduindant crap into the drivers/
hierarchy.  If this is code that can be replaced by using the CFI
driver, this reorganization is the point to do it.

If the boards are uinmaintained, then so be it, we will remove broken
stuff.

> > 2) very special versions of flash drivers dealing with board specific
> >    details that prevent the use of the CFI flash driver, in which case
> >    they should remain in the board directories.
>
> Can these not be unified (read stuffed with #ifdef-#endif blocks for now, later
> replaced with platform data) ?

I don't see how this could be done, and it seems not worth the effort
to me.  I smell most of these are unmaintained boards, and it's easier
to clean this up once for all.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.