[U-Boot] U-boot failed

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Fri Jun 8 12:42:21 CEST 2012

Dear Zeyad A,

Ok, let's first adjust your posting so it's easier for everyone around to read
and reply. Firstly please, always CC the u-boot mailing list. Secondly, fix the
quoting in your mailer please.

> Thank you very much for your reply. Please read the my answers below..
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> > Dear Zeyad A,
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Please help me to configure u-boot in my NC600 board.
> >
> > What's this board? Is it supported mainline? What CPU does it have, what
> > version
> > of uboot etc?
> >

> > My board is the thin-client NC600 board with POLLUX loaded(same as the
> > device in this link:
> > https://code.jeffkent.net/trac/nc600/wiki/Hardware/Devices/NC600#no1). It
> > has 64 MB of ram and 64 MB of storage space. I had followed the writings
> > in this link: https://code.jeffkent.net/trac/nc600

I don't see this being supported by mainline u-boot, right? So what version does
your board run? It might be that the u-boot you run is broken too.

> > > I have reached near
> > > to u-boot, but the kernel is not booting. After the kernel image upload
> >
> > via
> >
> > > serial boot mode it is giving no response.
> >
> > Kernel or uboot? Maybe your xyzmodem uploader doesn't work with uboot?
> > Minicom
> > worked for me.
> >

> > I have done all these in ubuntu 11.04 as per the link. In the terminal in
> > ubuntu, i can start the u-boot by ./boot-uboot command and my FTDI serial
> > communicator is working fine. All the things are sending to the board and
> > it is entering to u-boot. The commands are working fine in u-boot.

Ok, so you have u-boot running and it's the kernel that doesn't boot? What is
the last think you see?

> > > If the kernel image upload
> > > become complete it is not giving any command line in the u-boot as
> > > shown
> >
> > in
> >
> > > the guide.
> >
> > I see ... what terminal emulator do you use to communicate with uboot?
> > btw. uploading via tftp over the ethernet is usually much faster.
> >

> > I am using ubuntu terminal and it's working good. I tried both tftp
> > upload and direct flash memory upload by plugging the flash in my
> > board's usb port. But in tftp upload the kernel image upload was
> > successful. The led indicator in the board is blinking at the time of
> > kernel upload.  But after upload, there is not getting any response in
> > the terminal. I can't do any commands in the terminal.
> >
> > > The memory is not getting flashed.
> >
> > Why of course, the loady command downloads data to RAM, you have to flash
> > it via
> > "nand write" or such command afterwards.
> >

> > Yes the data is uploading to RAM. After that i can't do any commands.
> > This the only problem i have...

Ok, so you're uploading it to RAM, are you sure you don't overwrite u-boot?
Check where u-boot is located (run bdinfo) and avoid that location.

> > > It is again booting the same
> > > old windows CE in the nand boot mode.
> > >
> > > Thanking you,
> > > Regards